- 5 Star Cleaning team is going to bring 8 important tips in how to get winter ready in order to prevent any water damage or any other damages to your property during winter.
- Fall is the best time to prepare our garden, around the house and inside the house in order to get our home winter safe as possible. We all are so familiar with Toronto long and cold winter months. By proper preparation, we could prevent any water damage or any other possible damages to our home during wintertime.
- There are 8 reminders to follow in order to get your house ready for wintertime. You can do these steps by yourself or ask professional to help you.
- Eavestroughs and downspouts cleaning in fall in fall seasons,
with leaves falling, critters and all other dirt collected in downspouts and Eaves troughs needs to clean to prevent any blockage in those areas. If water does not easily flow out through your Eaves troughs and downspouts away from your home, will find its way back to your house somehow and causes water damage. Water is worse enemy of the house, if water normal ways of going away from your house, water will find its way back to house, possibly basement and causes water damage.
- Make sure Caulk around windows and doors
By Caulking around windows, door and other openings will prevent any air going inside or out of doors and windows. This will prevent any energy loss and cost of utilities. There are also some Vents around the house like dryers, kitchen & bathroom exhaust fan, cables and pipes that also needs to be Caulking as well.
- Make sure to Check or replace weather stripping on doors, windows, …
All weather stripping around the doors, windows and garage door need to be checked and replaced if needed. Those weather stripping lose their effectiveness and protection over years. These will make sure you save energy and minimize the cost of utilities. Do not forgot to check the attic openings should also have weather stripping that needs to be checked and repair if needed.
- Do not forget Inspect your roof, attic and chimney
Checking your roof to make sure your shingles are all working properly, if any repair or replacement needed, fall will be good time to take care of that by roofing professionals. Any roof leakage could cause water damage to your house. Checking Chimney from outside to inside, to make sure is clear from leaves, dirt, crumbling bricks, bird nest, squirrel nest and any critters.
in your attic check for any water damage or holes, or mould from roofing. Make sure you check for any animal nest inside attic insulation and vents are not blocked. Soffits connect the overhang of your roof to the top of your exterior walls and help vent unconditioned attics. Keeping these vents clear is important in having a healthy home.
- Clean and cover your air conditioning unit in Fall each house air condition is different and based on manufacture instruction, make sure you clean and shut off and cover properly for winter months.
- Shut-off and drain outside faucets
Outside faucet must be off and make sure drain all the water inside in fall before freezing time. If the faucet properly not shut off, it can lead to pipes and faucets bursting or cracking and can create a huge, potentially expensive, disaster in wintertime.
- Clean and inspect your furnace
It is important before you turn on the heat, to clean the furnace, change the filter, do air duct cleaning. your family breaths clean air that pushes around from the ducts. With changing new filter will help the quality of the air and also the furnace will work properly and finally helps with heat efficiency and cost. The filters should be replaced every 3 months. If you vacuum around the furnace inside the floor and air intake vents, all will keep air moving better so the furnace will not work as hard.
- Finally, and at last Do Not forget to do the following important checkups and maintenance for wintertime
- Clean and inspect your fireplace
- Clean and inspect your dryer vent
- Change the batteries in your smoke detectors
- Make sure carbon monoxide detectors working
- Inspect fire extinguishers
- Inspect and test sump pumps
- Empty and store rain barrels
- Winterize outdoor lawn equipment
If you can do all these checkups and maintenance by yourself will be great. If you need any professional help in check and repair get professional help.
If you do all these checkups and still had water damage or wet basement for any other reason, 5 Star Cleaning water damage certified, insured and professional technicians will provide 24/7 Flood Emergency & Water Damage Restoration service in GTA and Toronto.
For any water damage concerns or questions, or in case of water damage restoration needs, please do not hesitate to contact our 24/7 emergency hotlines.
24/7 Emergency line: 416-315-7562
Toll Free# 1855 697 9889
Source By Danial Geran